Tuesday, January 27, 2009

To Shave, or NOT to Shave.... What is the Big Hairy Deal!?!??!

A couple weeks ago, I decided I was going to move myself into even higher maintenance mode, and began preparations for a full-leg, armpit and "European" bikini wax for an upcoming trip to the tropics.... I have "dabbled in wax" for several years now, having become a veteran of the lip and eyebrow variety waxes, and I did "treat myself" (!?!?!) to a European this past fall when we had a romantic weekend getaway.... I just thought, "How lovely to be able to leave my razor at home, and be silky smooth during my whole vacation...." How wrong I was!!
The first issue was, I kept FORGETTING that I was no longer supposed to shave, and before I knew it I would have one leg done and the other one lathered up! I am a creature of habit, and I have NEVER been one of those females that could just go all "natural" even in the depths of the coldest winter, for a couple reasons... A. As a fitness teacher for many years, the sight of hairy legs and pits is just too gruesome to subject ANY class to and B. I simply can't TOLERATE the feel of anything more than about a 48 hour growth of hair on my legs or pits!!! My solution to the short memory problem was to simply remove the razor from the tub area, and suddenly I was on my way to that "required minimum 1/4" long outgrowth"..... Then I started getting conflicting reports on how long this "outgrowth" would take -- opinions ranged from minimum of 2-3 weeks, to an outrageous suggestion that it could take 5 weeks to get "optimum outgrowth for a really effective wax job". Helloooooo!?!??!?!??! WTF do models, actresses, and "active" girls like the Sex and the City gang do between waxes!?!??!? I find it very hard to believe that ANY of those women have been spotted ANYWHERE with a several week outgrowth....
By Day Five, just when I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it to 1/4" anyway, my decision was made for me, and my waxing appt. was immediately canceled -- I was putting my February days in my planner, looking ahead to the WICKED Gala that we will be attending on Friday, February 6th, and realizing that my perfectly WICKED dress would NOT be a fit with hairy pits and legs.... Yes I could wear pantyhose I suppose, BUT the length that my leg hairs achieved in just five days made me realize that I would end up looking like a gorilla in nylons, and there is just NO WAY I am going to try and rely on a "shrug" or "wrap" to cover up hairy armpits at a Gala Event... So I guess my razor will be traveling with me in February, and I will regroup and start the growing out process again in March for my April anniversary trip to Curacao.... Ladies, (or guys!??!!) any suggestions on how to more easily and painlessly prepare for a wax!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment